The trainers/lecturers are responsible for the contents and execution of their sessions and check attendance of the participants. The trainers/lecturers are at least accredited mediators or academics with sufficient teaching experience.
Candidates for future courses must express their expertise in a verifiable manner, and be able to demonstrate this at the request of the AIA.
An assessment/evaluation of the lecturers/trainers will be conducted by the students following the course by means of an evaluation form.
1. Avi Schneebalg
- Teaching experience:
2005-2009: Lecturer in Negotiation and Mediation at the Antwerp University Law School and at the University of Ghent Law School, Lecturer of Conflict Resolution at the University of Brussels (VUB) and at Boston University (Brussels Campus), Professor of Mediation at the University of Bologna, Lecturer in Negotiation and Mediation at the Institute of European Studies in Parma and at the Institut d’ Etudes Politiques in Lyon; has also provided various training courses and has participated as a speaker at Conferences
1999-2004: Guest Lecturer at the Advanced Mediation Seminar at Harvard Law School, Guest Lecturer at the University of Bologna, at Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi in Milan, Guest Lecturer at the University of Nice Law School, Lecturer in various mediation Conferences for Lawyers in Boston, Washington, San Francisco, Mexico City; has provided various training courses
- Expertise: corporate, distribution contracts, construction and engineering, property and real estate, and employment, partnership disputes
- Mediator accreditations: registered as Mediator at Belgian Federal Mediation Commission, active member of the Commission on Mediation of the Brussels and the Belgian Bar “Fellow” of the “International Academy of Mediators”, Co-Chairman of the European Division of the Section on Dispute Resolution of the American Bar Association. Also registered on the roster of Commercial mediators of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (Division of the American Bar Association), of the London Court of International Arbitration, of the Mediators List of the Nederland’s Mediation Institut (NMI), of the CPR International Panel of Distinguished Neutrals and of the CMAP (Centre for Mediation and Arbitration in Paris). Since 1996 initiator of a specialized practice in Civil and Commercial Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Spoken languages: French, English, Dutch, Italian, German
- Other: several publications and extensive teaching and practical training experience in the field of Negotiation, Mediation and Mediation Advocacy
2. Jeremy Lack
- Teaching experience: Regular lecturer on intellectual property and alternative dispute resolution for business executives at the University of Geneva, WIPO, IMD and at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) in Lausanne
- Expertise: intellectual property, technology transfer, private equity ventures and alternative dispute resolution; has been involved in cases of both common and civil law jurisdictions concerning several start-ups and industries, including biotechnology, healthcare, consumer products and metallurgy
- Mediator accreditations: accredited by several mediation institutions in Europe and the USA (including IMI, WIPO, INTA, SCCM, CMAP, CEDR and IPOS). He also serves on several ADR committees, including the Independent Standards Committee of IMI, as Co-Chair of the ABA Dispute Resolution Section's International Committee, CPR's European Advisory Boards, CIArb's Mediation Practices and Standards Subcommittee, SCCM's Regional Committee for Western Switzerland, the Geneva Chamber of Commerce's Advisory Council and the Board of Directors of GNII
- Spoken languages: French, English, Spanish, Hebrew
- Other: Author or co-author of numerous articles and reports including OECD, WIPO, etc; also active in the Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
3. Phillip Howell-Richardson
- Teaching experience: visiting professor in mediation at the University of Hong Kong
- Expertise: has mediated successfully the whole range of commercial disputes, including contract and commerce, financial, fraud, shareholder disagreements, insurance, intellectual property, professional negligence, construction and engineering, property, personal injury, employment and environment claims; has extended his leading reputation in class actions, multi-party claims and international disputes
- Mediator accreditations: accredited mediator with ADR Group in 1991 (for 14 years served as its Chairman); accredited mediator with CEDR; accredited mediator with the Hong Kong International Mediation Centre; one of the first European mediators to be invited to join the International Academy of Mediators as a Fellow; has been elected as a Founding Fellow in Mediation at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Spoken languages: ...
- Other: 2010 Legal 500 Independent Mediators; Member of the ADR Committee of CIArb; Member of a planning group for the creation of a College or Academy for all UK Civil Mediators; Honorary Chairman of ADR Net; Mediator Member of the London Court of International Mediation, the City Dispute Panel, the Civil Mediation Council, IPOS, CEDR, Resolex, Clerksroom and of Sports Resolutions; Member of the Court of Appeal Mediation Panel; member of the CPR Executive Advisory Committee; member of the European Committee of CPR; member of the IBA; took part in the ADR programme of the ABA at their AGM; panel mediator of the ICC in Paris and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in Geneva; Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators
4. Willem Meuwissen
- Teaching experience: teaches negotiation and mediation at the BBMC accredited mediators course and the AIA European Mediation Training for Practitioners of Justice
- Expertise: commercial corporate and real-estate law, labour law, commodity trade; expert in international commodity arbitration (RUCIP)
- Mediator accreditations: accredited as a mediator by the Belgian Federal Mediation Commission, the Brussels Business Mediation Center, VOBA (the Flemish Organisation for Mediation and Arbitration) and the Association for International Arbitration
- Spoken languages: Dutch, French, English and German
- Other: expert negotiator, mediator and litigator; permanent member of the Civil and Commercial Mediation Committee of the Belgian Federal Mediation Commission; member of the Flemish Bar Association ADR Commission; author of several publications in commercial law and mediation
5. Simon Wesley
- Teaching experience: visiting Lecturer on English contract, distribution, EU and commercial law at the Universities of Essex (Pallas LLM), Lyon III (Institute of Comparative Law), Montpellier (Business Law Institute) and Tours (International Commercial Law Center)
- Expertise: international commercial agreements (distribution, agency, sale…); contracts of employment, collective redundancy and termination procedures (the latter including negotiations with works councils and unions); international commercial disputes including EU rules on applicable law and jurisdiction questions; significant experience of dispute resolution and ADR (including mediation and arbitration both as Counsel and arbitrator-ICC and ad hoc)
- Mediator accreditations: trained mediator at the Centre de Médiation et d’Arbitrage de Paris (CMAP)
- Spoken languages: English, French, German
- Other: honorary legal adviser to HM Consul Lyon, providing also background legal information for UKTI teams operating in France; participates in the activities of the Lyon Bar International Commission
6. Frank Fleerackers
- Teaching experience: Professor of Law and Conflict Analysis at Brussels University KUB Faculty of Law, Professor of Alternative Dispute Resolution at the European Academy of Legal Theory, lecturer in mediation at EMTPJ 2010
- Expertise: conflict analysis, legal interpretation and education
- Mediator accreditations: Chairman of ADR Net since 1995, Founding member of Panel of Independent Mediators, Member of the Court of Appeal Advisory Committee on Mediation and Court of Appeal Mediator, Member of CEDR, Construction Conciliation group, CMAP, TeCSA, Panel mediator for WIPO, Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry Arbitration and Conciliators Panel, International Chamber of Commerce Mediation Panel, Sports Disputes Resolution Panel, London Court of International Arbitration, Civil Mediation Panel
- Spoken languages: English, Dutch
- Other: director of an interdisciplinary center for Conflict Analysis and Resolution Enhancement (CARE); Dean Faculty of law of the Brussels HUB University
7. Johan Billiet
- Teaching experience: lecturer in law at the Brussels Business School, EHSAL, Belgium, 1985-1991, Lecturer in mediation at EMTPJ 2010
- Expertise: distribution law, commercial and civil disputes, ad hoc arbitrations, domestic and international arbitrations
- Mediator accreditations: mediator in civil and commercial matters, registered mediator in Belgium
- Spoken languages: English, French, Dutch
- Other: Deputy Judge of Court of First Instance in Brussels, 1981-present, has received recommendations in Who’s Who Legal for arbitration
8. Philippe Billiet
- Teaching experience: lecturer at VUB Brussels on Dispute Resolution in China and the University of Antwerp on Arbitration Commitments in Merger Review. Lecturer for the International Business Arbitration Postgraduate Program at Vrije Universiteit Brussels.
- Expertise: corporate restructuring, competition, arbitration, and general contract law
- Mediator accreditations: to be completed
- Spoken languages: Dutch, English, French, German
- Other: to be completed
9. Linda Reijerkerk
- Teaching experience: regular lecturer en trainer for the Institute for Conflictmanagement and the Amsterdams ADR Institute.
- Expertise: multiparty and international/ intercultural conflict resolution, business and workplace related disputes and public disputes (environmental, multiparty mediation).
- Mediator accreditations: director of the Institute for Conflict Management (since 2007), professional coach and mediator (since 1997), co-founder and member of the board of the Dutch Mediators Association (NMV), chair of the European Mediation Network Initiative (EMNI).
- Spoken languages: Dutch, English, German, French, and Spanish
- Other: (co-)author of publications and articles, as well as extensive teaching and practical training experience in the field of Negotiation and Mediation.